Tuesday, June 25, 2013

How to be a Fruity Christian (Part 7)

Today I want to describe to you where true joy comes.  Galatians 5:22 tells us that "the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy..."  When you and I have God's love in our hearts, then the other eight fruit will take root and begin to grow in our lives.  Someone has said that joy is love's conscience.  When we are walking in God's love and in His overflowing passion for us, then our lives can be joyful no matter the ourward circumstances.   Many people, even Christians, think that they can have lasting joy from their family, occupations, recreations, and even in material treasures.  But the longer one lives, the clearer they learn that the things of this life cannot keep them joyful.  Yes, I might be happy having a family, but there are times when my family will steal my joy.  There are days I love my job, but then there are other days I want to quit.  Oh, I can remember the time my Tennessee Volunteers made be happy, then there are other times...I don't want to describe how I felt about them.  And yes, driving a new car off that lot created a smile on my face, but having the pay for it six years almost gave me an ulser.  These things may bring a moment of happiness to our lives, but true joy is a gift from God (Ecc. 5:20).

Did you know that the word "joy" occures in some form 326 times in the New Testament.  Nehemiah tells Israel that "God's joy is to be their strength." (Neh. 8:10).  Scripture is clear, the fruit of joy flows from one source and one source only, Christ Jesus. (John 15:11, Phil 3:1)  The word joy is connected to the word grace.  True joy comes when we let go of the law and let God's grace embrace us.  John McAurther states, "Joy is the deep down sense of well-being that aides in the heart of the person who knows all is well between himself and the Lord."  Real joy is not based on favorable circumstacnes or human emotions.  The fruit of the Spirit is not a feeling or emotion.  Pleasures are momentary, real joy is deep & abiding!  And I promise, the closer you walk with Christ, the less stress you will experience and a greater joy you will carry in life, knowing that Christ is by your side, never to leave you or forsake you.  Until next time, keep walking close with Christ.

No comments: